The seaside metropolis of Cape Town boasts an endless list of amazing things to see and do. With stunning natural landscapes, a rich and vibrant cultural history and an all year round amazing climate, it is not surprising that the Mother City has something for everyone!
It would be almost impossible for us to list every tourist attraction or leisure activity Cape Town has to offer so instead we have comprised a list of 25 ‘mandatory’ things to do during your visit- a list of things that anyone who has ever been to Cape Town, or lives here, will say you absolutely have to do!
- Hike up the iconic Table Mountain- This really is a no brainer. It has recently been named one of the 7 new wonders of nature and the views you will experience on top, are nothing short of breathtaking.
- Hike Lions Head and discover the magic of Wally’s cave along the way.
- Visit Robben Island- Enjoy a beautiful boat ride over to Robben island and learn more about South Africa’s turbulent history.
- Explore Kirstenbosch Gardens- The botanical gardens are one of the most beautiful places in Cape Town. Marvel at the mountains, have a picnic under the tress and enjoy the stunning canopy walk.
- Taste some wine- There are countless wine farms to explore in Stellenbosch and Franschoek, each home to a unique Cape Dutch style farm house and some delicious locally made wine, cheese and biltong.
- Wonder around some local markets- Hout Bay, The Old Biscuit Mill and The City Bowl markets are some of our favourites.
- Enjoy the delights of Signal Hill- This is the perfect place to enjoy a famous Cape Town sunset whilst sipping on sundowners. Alternatively you can throw yourself off the side of the mountain and paraglide over beautiful Sea Point!
- Discover Company Gardens- A tranquil haven in the centre of the vibrant city.
- Explore Silvermine dam and hike to Elephant’s Eye Cave- Silvermine nature reserve is breathtakingly beautiful and the dam is the perfect place to cool off on a hot summers day.
- Relax on a Sunday at the Blue Peter restaurant- Watch the sun go down over the iconic Table Mountain whilst enjoying some incredible seafood and sundowners on the lawn of the Blue Peter restaurant.
- Surfing at Muizenburg- Muizenburg beach is a famous local surfing spot and home to some wonderfully colourful beach huts which line the sandy shore.
- Have a go on the Hop On Hop Off sight-seeing bus- This is the perfect way to explore Cape Town and learn about its history.
- Discover the picturesque beaches- Cape Town is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Relax on Camps Bay, Llundudno, Clifton and Sunset beach and dip your toe in the icy water if you are feeling brave!
- Visit the Penguins and Cape Peninsula- This is a wonderful day out. Take a peek at the goofy penguins that live on Boulders Beach and explore the beauty of Cape Point nature reserve.
- Stroll around some quaint harbours- The colourful harbours of Simons Town and Kalk Bay are the perfect places to enjoy some delicious fish and chips whilst marvelling at the stunning views of the False Bay coastline.
- Go to Newlands to watch some rugby or cricket- Come on you BOKS!
- Experience Mzolis in Gugulethu- Mzoli’s is a famous braai spot in a local Township which opens its doors to visitors on a Sunday. The people, music and meat will blow you away!
- Have high tea at the Mount Nelson- This is a real tasty treat!
- Have a lekker braai! Braaing (barbequing) is an integral part of South Africa’s culinary culture. No one can braai like the South Africans can!
- Wonder around Bokaap- The streets of Bokaap are filled with culture and history and the brightly coloured houses are a must see!
- Take a stroll along Sea point promenade- Stop for an ice cream and some crazy golf whilst enjoying the views of the Atlantic coastline.
- Explore the restaurants on Kloof Street- The stylish and vibey Kloof Street is the perfect place to indulge in some of the amazing food Cape Town is famous for.
- Treat yourself at the V&A waterfront- The designer shopping malls at the waterfront may not be conducive to your traveller’s budget but it is a beautiful place to have a cocktail in the sun and watch the world go by.
- Have a coffee at Truth- Tryst us, it’s the best coffee in the world!
- Horse ride along Long Beach- Noordhoek’s main beach stretches as far as the eye can see and a horse ride from one end to the other is definitely an experience of a lifetime!
What should you do next?
Easy - there's only one thing for it - download this free 37-page PDF guide we wrote just for you. It'll give you an overview of everything you need to know and do to have a rewarding and unforgettable learning experience abroad.