Are you an ambitious architecture student ready to turbo-charge your career?
Set yourself apart from your peers with our value-packed Architecture internship programmes.
The best architecture internships in Cape Town?
Cape Town’s architecture reflects South Africa’s varied historical influences and it is an amazing place to gain hands on work experience whilst applying your education based knowledge in a practical way. We facilitate architecture internship opportunities in both commercial and residential projects as well as collaborating with firms that focus on sustainable architecture and design.
Some of the areas an architecture intern could be involved in are: restructuring of existing designs, creating models for new designs, conducting research on existing and potential new sites, technical documentation, tender documentation, service coordination, sourcing products and finishes, collaborating with construction teams, meeting new clients to discuss upcoming projects and liaising with interior designers.
Read on for a full overview of the best architecture internships in Africa.
What Our Internship Clients Say
“Cape Town is such an interesting and awesome city to work in and explore. I would highly recommend Bridging Gaps to anyone planning to do an internship here!”
We have written a comprehensive overview of every aspect of choosing an internship in Cape Town. You can download it absolutely free here: DOWNLOAD FREE GUIDE
Free Download: Intern's Guide to Cape Town
We have written a comprehensive overview of every aspect of choosing an internship in Cape Town. You can download it absolutely free here:
Share This Internship with Your Friends
Architecture Internship Key Skills:
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Attention to detail
- IT and technical
- Social and cultural awareness
- Business and engineering aptitude
Academic & Career Benefits
- Apply knowledge and professional experience to your university projects.
- Gain an understanding of the scope of work needed in a professional architecture setting.
- Gain confidence in your design and technical abilities.
- Develop your skills using software like Revit and Autocad.
- Benefit from professional mentorship and an increased network of contacts.
- Demonstrate to future employers that you have a diverse skill set and practical experience.
Ideal Internship Applicant
- Some experience studying architecture or design.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Some experience using software like Revit and Autocad.
- A small portfolio of previous architecture or design work.
- Gain practical and professional work experience.
- Stand out from the crowd in future job applications.
- Have the chance to work in some of the leading architectural firms in South Africa.
- Experience life in a dynamic and beautiful city.
- Enjoy a fully customized adventure of a life time!
- Minimum age: 18
- Completed (or will have completed) A2-Levels or equivalent
- Minimum of 4 weeks duration, no maximum
- Not a resident of South Africa
- Currently studying or been accepted to study architecture or design.
Discover how your internship will help boost your career prospects.
Key Skills Developed Through Our Architecture Internships
Interns will develop their ability to see three dimensional spaces in two dimensions, as well as being able to communicate three dimensional spaces in two dimensional drawings.
Interns will hone their written and verbal communication skills through emailing and interacting with clients.
Interns will practice critical thinking and problem solving on a regular basis and be required to create the solutions to problems, rather than just finding them.
Interns will be given the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues, clients, interior designers, engineers and construction companies and in doing so their interpersonal skills will be challenged and developed.
Attention to detail
Interns will be required to pay attention to the smallest of detail in their design work, communication of ideas and collaboration with clients.
Interns will have the chance to work with software like Autocad and Revit and improve their technical skills.
Business and engineering aptitude
Interns will develop their understanding of other industries such as engineering and business through liaisons with engineers, realtors, developers and interior designers.
Interns will hone their design and sketching skills and have to communicate their ideas effectively on paper and on a computer screen.
Social and cultural awareness
Interns will develop a good awareness and understanding of social, cultural and environmental concerns in an international setting.
Typical 8 Week Architecture Internship
Internship Week 1
Arrival & orientation. Introduction to Cape Town, your accommodation and your internship host organisation and colleagues.
Internship Week 2
Get stuck into your Architecture internship placement and establish yourself with your organisation. Come to our free social events.
Internship Week 3
Enjoy a great work-life balance, getting out and about to see the sites alongside working hard on your internship.
Internship Week 4
Pick up more responsibility in your internship as you prove your capability. Enjoy regular activities in Cape Town outside of work. Come to another social!
Internship Week 5
Now you’re flying (metaphorically) at work, you’ll be more and more autonomous. Expect to pick up even more challenges!
Internship Week 6
Internship is going swimmingly, now go and do something crazy like swimming with some great white sharks or abseiling off of a mountain.
Internship Week 7
Regularly enjoy the benefits of Cape Town and at work, gather materials needed for portfolio (e.g. references from us and provider).
Internship Week 8
Putting the finishing touches to your internship and gathering feedback from us and your internship provider for use in your academic / career portfolio. Finalise paperwork for university (if needed) and debrief.
Leave a Changed Person
Leave with the satisfaction of having helped a Cape Town Architecture firm, with building experience and lifelong friendships.
Now share it with the world!
* We will endeavor to deliver experiences similar to this to each one of our interns but please note that the work experience you gain will largely depend on your personal proactiveness and the internship organisation that you select.
Architecture Internships Frequently Asked Questions
What will I get at the end of my internship?
We will provide you with a certificate of participation and you will also receive a reference letter from your internship supervisor at your host organisation which you can use for future job interviews.
Will I be working for a large architecture firm?
The internship organisation you work for depends on your own personal and professional goals, as well as your previous experience. We base our placement search completely on your interests and goals and then it is at the discretion of the local firms we contact, whether they offer you an internship or not. We work with a wide range of local architecture firms in Cape Town- some internationally recognised large firms, and some locally focused small firms.
Will I live near my internship organisation?
Yes, we always place interns as near to their organisation as possible. We’ll also make sure you know how to get there efficiently and safely.
Do I need architecture experience to do this internship?
Not necessarily, however it is required that you have already embarked on an architecture course, or have been accepted to do so within the next year. A good understanding of maths, as well as an interest in design and drawing are also beneficial.
What type of work will I be doing during my internship?
Interns can expect to be involved in a variety of projects and tasks during their internship including; liaising with clients at the start of a project, working on design briefs, sketching, office administration, site visits, collaborating with construction teams and engineers, liaising with local authorities, project management and technical documentation.
Discover how your internship will help boost your job prospects.
Related Search results:
- architecture internships south africa
- architecture internships johannesburg
- architectural technologist jobs in cape town
- architectural technologist jobs in south africa
- architectural technologist jobs in government
- ssh architects cape town
- architecture jobs cape town
- cape institute of architects employment