Are you an ambitious film and photography student ready to turbo-charge your career?
Set yourself apart from your peers with our value-packed film and photography internship programmes.
Programme Rating / Reviews
Our internship programmes are rated 9.5/10 overall based on 37 recent reviews.
Recent Programme Reviews (all subject areas)
My internship with CTEET was fantastic! I loved being a part of the project. The people I met were so welcoming and friendly.
Bridging Gaps were so helpful with advice before departure and upon arriving in Cape Town. Throughout my internship they continuously checked that I was happy and enjoying it. Very grateful to them for making my experience so great.
The best Film and Photography internships in Cape Town?
Cape Town is affordable to travel to and operate within, and coupled with the incredible natural beauty of the landscape and its all year Mediterranean climate, it makes the perfect stage for the filming of award winning movies, model photo shoots and international adverts.
We partner with a range of creditable local and international producers and photographers looking to impart their knowledge on eager assistants and show you the secrets of their trade! Taking part in a film or photography internship provides you with an ideal opportunity to develop your portfolio whilst establishing a network of professional contacts, and there’s no better place to do this than Cape Town!
Read on for a full overview of the best film and photography internships in Africa.
What Our Internship Clients Say
“With their warm and friendly welcome at the airport my mentors took away all my nervousness. I felt comfortable and well looked after from the very first moment on.”
We have written a comprehensive overview of every aspect of choosing an internship in Cape Town. You can download it absolutely free here: DOWNLOAD FREE GUIDE
Free Download: Intern's Guide to Cape Town
We have written a comprehensive overview of every aspect of choosing an internship in Cape Town. You can download it absolutely free here:
Share This Internship with Your Friends
Film & Photography Internship Key Skills:
- Visual storytelling
- Technical expertise
- Equipment skills and training
Academic & Career Benefits
- Gain hands on experience with a reputable film, photography or production company and broaden your horizons.
- Benefit from the guidance of experienced mentors.
- Build an impressive portfolio of work.
- Put your classroom based knowledge into practice and use your creativity to assist on exciting international projects.
- Gain an important insight into the realities of working in film or photography.
- Practice using specialised equipment and computer software.
Ideal Internship Applicant
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in English.
- A creative and innovative thinker.
- A strong interest in photography, film or editing.
- Create your customized Cape Town adventure with the help of our experienced team!
- Enjoy all the incredible activities and attractions Cape Town is home to by joining our weekly social events.
- Benefit from extensive and continued career and educational support.
- Develop your portfolio of work and add to your CV.
- Work alongside creditable producers and establish a network of professional contacts.
- Minimum age: 18
- Completed (or will have completed) A2-Levels or equivalent
- Minimum of 2 weeks duration, no maximum
- Not a resident of South Africa
Discover how your internship will help boost your career prospects.
Key Skills Developed Through Our Film & Photography Internship
Through guidance and practice interns will learn how to tell a story visually through characters, plots and scenery.
Interns will develop an understanding of related job roles such as sound engineering, lighting technicians and camera operators.
Interns will assist in writing and structuring scripts and they will also have to present innovative ideas in written proposals.
Equipment skills and training
Interns will have the chance to work with a variety of equipment and they will develop a better understanding of lighting, choosing the right angle, which lenses to use in certain circumstances and other industry specific knowledge.
Interns will have the chance to collaborate with actors, camera operators, sound technicians and editors. They will learn what it means to successfully convey a vision to ensure it is reflected in the film, advert or documentary.
Interns will develop their marketing skills by learning how to promote their internship organisation’s projects on a variety of online platforms.
Interns will have the chance to use photo and film editing software such as Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Creative Suite. They will develop their editing skills through the guidance of an experienced mentor.
Typical 8 Week Film & Photography Internship
Internship Week 1
Arrival & orientation. Introduction to Cape Town, your accommodation and your internship host organisation and colleagues.
Internship Week 2
Get stuck into your film & photography internship placement and establish yourself with your organisation. Come to our free social events.
Internship Week 3
Enjoy a great work-life balance, getting out and about to see the sites alongside working hard on your internship.
Internship Week 4
Pick up more responsibility in your internship as you prove your capability. Enjoy regular activities in Cape Town outside of work. Come to another social!
Internship Week 5
Now you’re flying (metaphorically) at work, you’ll be more and more autonomous. Expect to pick up even more challenges!
Internship Week 6
Internship is going swimmingly, now go and do something crazy like swimming with some great white sharks or abseiling off of a mountain.
Internship Week 7
Regularly enjoy the benefits of Cape Town and at work, gather materials needed for portfolio (e.g. references from us and provider).
Internship Week 8
Putting the finishing touches to your internship and gathering feedback from us and your internship provider for use in your academic / career portfolio. Finalise paperwork for university (if needed) and debrief.
Leave a Changed Person
Leave with the satisfaction of having helped a Cape Town film & photography company, with building experience and lifelong friendships.
Now share it with the world!
* We will endeavor to deliver experiences similar to this to each one of our interns but please note that the work experience you gain will largely depend on your personal proactiveness and the internship organisation that you select.
Film & Photography Internships Frequently Asked Questions
What sort of work can I expect to do during my internship?
Your daily tasks and responsibilities as an intern will depend on the local company we match you up with but some of the projects you could be involved in include; assisting with setting up shoots and equipment, contacting venues, hosting castings, assisting with script writing, editing film shoots and photos, promoting projects, arranging exhibitions and assisting with all aspects of shoots on the day.
Does it matter if I have no film or photography experience?
No! As long as you are passionate about film, photography or editing and you are enthusiastic and motivated to learn, we can find you an exciting internship opportunity!
Will there be other interns at my internship organisation?
As we work with over 450 local organisations in Cape Town, and we find you an internship based completely on your personal interests and goals, it is unlikely that there will be another Bridging Gaps intern at the organisation you work for. However, there may be other local or international interns from other organisations like ourselves.
How long will my internship last?
All the internships we offer are completely flexible in duration so it is up to you how long you stay in Cape Town for! Some of the companies we collaborate with like to have an intern commit to at least 4 – 6 weeks so the longer you can stay for the better your chances of being offered an internship will be.
Discover how your internship will help boost your job prospects.
Related Search results:
- photography companies hiring in cape town
- cape town film studios internship
- photography internships available in cape town
- photography assistant jobs cape town
- film internships south africa 2017
- film internships johannesburg
- photography internships johannesburg
- junior photographer jobs cape town