Are you an ambitious design student ready to turbo-charge your career?
Set yourself apart from your peers with our value-packed design internship programmes.
The best Design internships in Cape Town?
Cape Town is a leading centre for creativity and innovation and design is now a part of the city’s daily discourse. Numerous design initiatives have been implemented to positively impact the city socially, culturally and economically, and these initiatives have also created a range of wonderfully diverse, ‘Design Internship’ opportunities.
Increase your knowledge, gain practical experience, expand your creativity and discover where your passions lie. As an intern in this field you will be exposed to new and exciting design techniques and software and the knowledge you gain will improve your chances as a future job applicant.
Our design internship opportunities in Cape Town include; graphic design, UX design, multimedia animation, art and fashion design.
Read on for a full overview of the best design internships in Africa.
What Our Internship Clients Say
“‘My experience with Bridging Gaps has been fantastic. My supervisors, Lucie and Julian, very much care about their interns’ well-being and their experiences in Cape Town. They have been brilliant with making this experience a comfortable and enjoyable one through all their help and advice.”
We have written a comprehensive overview of every aspect of choosing an internship in Cape Town. You can download it absolutely free here: DOWNLOAD FREE GUIDE
Free Download: Intern's Guide to Cape Town
We have written a comprehensive overview of every aspect of choosing an internship in Cape Town. You can download it absolutely free here:
Share This Internship with Your Friends
Design Internship Key Skills:
- Product development
- Colour theory
- Print design
- Business Acumen
Academic & Career Benefits
- Gain incredible real world work experience and learn how to problem solve, collaborate with other professionals and meet deadlines.
- Gain a valuable insight into what daily life in a professional environment within your industry is really like.
- Build a professional network of contacts and collaborate with experienced colleagues that could have connections to potential future employers.
- Increase your exposure to new skills in an ever evolving industry. Experience new techniques and technologies and receive professional training with specialised software and programmes.
- Stand out from the crowd in future job applications and increase your earning potential.
Ideal Internship Applicant
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in English.
- Creative and innovative thinker
- Passion for design and some examples of design work.
- Live and work in one of the most beautiful and dynamic cities in the world.
- Work for a company in a city that has been named a leading centre for creativity and innovation.
- Expand your creativity and discover where your passions lie.
- Develop crucial industry specific skills to add to your CV.
- Benefit from regular training from experienced professionals.
- Minimum age: 18
- Completed (or will have completed) A2-Levels or equivalent
- Minimum of 2 weeks duration, no maximum
- Not a resident of South Africa
Discover how your internship will help boost your career prospects.
Key Skills Developed Through Our Design Internship
Interns technical skills will be developed through regular use of computer software such as photoshop, adobe InDesign and Adobe Illustrator. Inters will learn how to create designs using specialised software under the supervision of experienced professionals.
Interns may have the chance to work on projects aimed at making websites, computer software, mobile applications or video games easier and more enjoyable for users. Through this interns will learn how to analyse the needs of specific consumer groups as well as components of various products.
Interns could have the chance to collaborate with clients, newspapers, art directors, PR agencies and colleagues and they will learn how to communicate their ideas and contribute to projects successfully.
Interns will learn how to mix different colours as well as how to effectively use juxstapose, contrast, lighting and shadow in their designs.
Interns sketching skills will be honed through regular practise and comprehensive mentorship. Interns will learn how to successfully communicate their initial ideas through sketching.
Interns will gain a valuable insight into the role design can play in improving business and increasing customers.
Interns will develop their knowledge of print advertising and merchandising through training in printing processes as well as colour space, grid layout and master pages.
Typical 8 Week Design Internship
Internship Week 1
Arrival & orientation. Introduction to Cape Town, your accommodation and your internship host organisation and colleagues.
Internship Week 2
Get stuck into your design internship placement and establish yourself with your organisation. Come to our free social events.
Internship Week 3
Enjoy a great work-life balance, getting out and about to see the sites alongside working hard on your internship.
Internship Week 4
Pick up more responsibility in your internship as you prove your capability. Enjoy regular activities in Cape Town outside of work. Come to another social!
Internship Week 5
Now you’re flying (metaphorically) at work, you’ll be more and more autonomous. Expect to pick up even more challenges!
Internship Week 6
Internship is going swimmingly, now go and do something crazy like swimming with some great white sharks or abseiling off of a mountain.
Internship Week 7
Regularly enjoy the benefits of Cape Town and at work, gather materials needed for portfolio (e.g. references from us and provider).
Internship Week 8
Putting the finishing touches to your internship and gathering feedback from us and your internship provider for use in your academic / career portfolio. Finalise paperwork for university (if needed) and debrief.
Leave a Changed Person
Leave with the satisfaction of having helped a Cape Town design company, with building experience and lifelong friendships.
Now share it with the world!
* We will endeavor to deliver experiences similar to this to each one of our interns but please note that the work experience you gain will largely depend on your personal proactiveness and the internship organisation that you select.
Design Internships Frequently Asked Questions
What type of design internship can I do?
We collaborate with a wide range of local design companies here in Cape Town and you can choose from a variety of exciting internships including; graphic design, web design, fashion design, fine art, prop design, animation or product design.
How long will my internship last?
All the internships we offer are completely flexible in duration so it is up to you how long you stay in Cape Town for! Some of the companies we collaborate with like to have an intern commit to at least 4 – 6 weeks so the longer you can stay for the better your chances of being offered an internship will be.
Will I live near my internship organisation?
Yes, we always place interns as near to their organisation as possible. We’ll also make sure you know how to get there efficiently and safely.
Will there be other interns at my internship organisation?
As we work with over 450 local organisations in Cape Town, and we find you an internship based completely on your personal interests and goals, it is unlikely that there will be another Bridging Gaps intern at the organisation you work for. However, there may be other local or international interns from other organisations like ourselves.
What will I wear for my internship?
Appropriate work attire is specific to each organisation we work with but, in general you will find that you can wear more casual clothes than what you are used to back home. There are only a few placements which will require you to wear formal work clothes, and we will let you know if this applies to you. We suggest that for your first day you dress smartly, and then you will be able to gauge what appropriate attire is going forward. For most volunteer placements you will be able to wear casual clothes, however revealing clothes of any kind are not suitable for any placement.
Discover how your internship will help boost your job prospects.
Related Search results:
- graphic design internships cape town 2017
- graphic design companies in cape town
- junior graphic design jobs cape town
- graphic design jobs cape town gumtree
- graphic design internships pretoria
- freelance graphic design jobs cape town
- graphic design jobs in cape town
- graphic design jobs cape town northern suburbs