Interior Design Internships In Cape Town
2018 & 2019
The best Interior Design internships in Cape Town?
Pursing an internship in interior design allows you to apply your technical and creative skills to exciting design projects in a professional work environment. Our customised internships give you the opportunity to gain experience and knowledge in client services, evaluation of spaces, budgeting, designing and purchasing of furnishings, proposal development, liaising with subcontractors and specialised software use, whilst using your artistic faculty to contribute to experienced design teams.
Cape Town is bursting with design inspiration and it is the perfect place to build up your professional portfolio of work!
Read on for a full overview of the best interior design internships in Africa.
What Our Internship Clients Say
“Interning with Bridging Gaps was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had! From day one I felt safe and in good hands. My mentors were amazing and were always there for me 24/7.”
We have written a comprehensive overview of every aspect of choosing an internship in Cape Town. You can download it absolutely free here: DOWNLOAD FREE GUIDE
Free Download: Intern's Guide to Cape Town
We have written a comprehensive overview of every aspect of choosing an internship in Cape Town. You can download it absolutely free here:
Share This Internship with Your Friends
Interior Design Internship Key Skills:
- Balancing colour
- Client services
- Problem solving
- Knowledge of current trends
- Spatial awareness and planning
- Technical and computer
- Proposal development
Academic & Career Benefits
- Gain an insight into the real world of interior design and discover where your passions and strengths lie.
- Gain valuable work experience in one of Cape Town’s most prestigious interior design firms and help your resume stand out from the crowd.
- Practice your design technics and skills and impress future employers.
- Learn from experienced professionals in your field and build a professional network of contacts.
- Take inspiration from the colours and culture of Cape Town and build an exciting portfolio of work.
Ideal Internship Applicant
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in English.
- A creative and innovative thinker.
- Basic understanding of spatial planning and current design trends.
- Use your creative skills to assist with innovative and exciting design projects.
- Gain amazing design inspiration in the colourful and dynamic city of Cape Town.
- Work alongside experienced designers and develop impressive skills to kick start your career.
- Build up an international and professional portfolio of work.
- Build your CV and make yourself more marketable to future employers.
- Minimum age: 18
- Completed (or will have completed) A2-Levels or equivalent
- Minimum of 2 weeks duration, no maximum
- Not a resident of South Africa
Discover how your internship will help boost your career prospects.
Key Skills Developed Through Our Interior Design Internship
Interns will learn the importance of colour balance in the design process and how colours can affect spatial perception.
Interns will learn how to find creative solutions to a variety of problems whilst under pressure from clients, vendors and contractors.
Interns will have the chance to liaise with clients and hone their client service skills by building a trusting relationship with them and always ensuring their needs are met.
Knowledge of current trends
Interns will develop their knowledge of current styles and trends through research and inspiration from recent projects. Interns will have to provide clients with the most up to date styles if desired.
Intern’s communication skills will be improved through regular collaboration with colleagues, vendors, contractors and clients. Interns will learn how to effectively and efficiently communicate their design ideas whilst ensuring client satisfaction.
Technical and computer skills
Interns will be trained in using specialised design software like Sketch up, Autocad, Revit and Homestyler
Interns will gain an insight into proposal development including; the type of project (renovation, expansion, new construction) the location, the budget, objectives and environmental considerations.
Spatial awareness and planning
Interns will be trained to identify the most effective way to design a space. Interns will learn how to use grid systems consisting of margins, columns, flowlines and spatial zones.
Interns will learn how to budget effectively for a project based on location, clientele and the quality of materials used.
Typical 8 Week Interior Design Internship
Internship Week 1
Arrival & orientation. Introduction to Cape Town, your accommodation and your internship host organisation and colleagues.
Internship Week 2
Get stuck into your interior design internship placement and establish yourself with your organisation. Come to our free social events.
Internship Week 3
Enjoy a great work-life balance, getting out and about to see the sites alongside working hard on your internship.
Internship Week 4
Pick up more responsibility in your internship as you prove your capability. Enjoy regular activities in Cape Town outside of work. Come to another social!
Internship Week 5
Now you’re flying (metaphorically) at work, you’ll be more and more autonomous. Expect to pick up even more challenges!
Internship Week 6
Internship is going swimmingly, now go and do something crazy like swimming with some great white sharks or abseiling off of a mountain.
Internship Week 7
Regularly enjoy the benefits of Cape Town and at work, gather materials needed for portfolio (e.g. references from us and provider).
Internship Week 8
Putting the finishing touches to your internship and gathering feedback from us and your internship provider for use in your academic / career portfolio. Finalise paperwork for university (if needed) and debrief.
Leave a Changed Person
Leave with the satisfaction of having helped a Cape Town interior design company, with building experience and lifelong friendships.
Now share it with the world!
* We will endeavor to deliver experiences similar to this to each one of our interns but please note that the work experience you gain will largely depend on your personal proactiveness and the internship organisation that you select.
Interior Design Internships Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need interior design experience to do this internship?
Not necessarily. The firms we collaborate with look at a lot more than just experience, they are looking for people that will help them achieve their goals. So, demonstrate good character and skills, and you’ll be in with a great chance of being selected. Previous experience and some practice using design software would be beneficial though.
Will I live near my internship organisation?
Yes, we always place interns as near to their organisation as possible. We’ll also make sure you know how to get there efficiently and safely.
What type of work will I be doing during my internship?
Interns can expect to be involved in a variety of projects and tasks depending on their internship organisation. Some responsibilities you could have as an intern include; budgeting, sketching, proposal development, meeting with clients to find out their project requirements, collaborating with contractors, purchasing furnishing, colour balancing and planning spaces using specialised software.
Will I be working for a large interior design firm?
The internship organisation you work for depends on your own personal and professional goals, as well as your previous experience. We base our placement search completely on your interests and goals and then it is at the discretion of the local firms we contact, whether they offer you an internship or not. We work with some of Cape Town’s most prestigious interior design firms that offer a variety of exciting internship opportunities.
Discover how your internship will help boost your job prospects.
Related Search results:
- junior interior design jobs cape town
- decor jobs cape town
- interior design jobs stellenbosch
- junior interior design jobs south africa
- interior design companies in cape town
- interior design internships johannesburg
- graphic design paid internships cape town
- fashion internships cape town